Warehouse Operatives work in a variety of warehouse environments. Work activities include taking deliveries, checking for damaged/missing items, storing goods, moving stock by various methods, picking/packing orders, loading goods for dispatch, maintaining stock records and documentation, and cleaning. They are required to safely use a range of equipment, machinery and vehicles, as relevant to their role and setting. This could include mechanical racking systems, materials handling equipment (MHE) or fork lift trucks.
Warehouse Operatives communicate with a wide range of people and customers. They have a passion to meet customers’ expectations by providing a quality service that encourages repeat business. Individuals in this role are highly competent in using industry-recognised systems and associated services (eg Traffic/Warehouse Management Systems) and will be able to work under pressure to tight deadlines. A Warehouse Operative will often be required to be flexible and work shifts including 4-on-4-off, days, nights, evenings and weekends.
Core knowledge – all Warehouse Operatives will have a good understanding of:
- Safe driving and/or operating techniques to standard and as trained, relating to MHE (e.g. Counterbalance/Reach Trucks, Powered Pallet Trucks, Ride on Pallet Trucks, Order Pickers, Narrow Aisle Pickers, Mobile Elevated Work Platforms, Forklift Trucks) as relevant to their role and setting; adherence to safe practice when working at heights.
- Steps to take to minimise the effect their work (and the wider industry) has on the environment; the need to maintain a high level of housekeeping and manage waste effectively; using packing materials efficiently to reduce waste and costs; the consequences of not using or disposing of these correctly.
- Safe use of equipment and machinery (such as MHE, vehicle and delivery systems); where to find instructions/guidance; consequences of incorrect use.
- Use of warehouse systems and processes relating to packaging, moving and receiving stock (eg Load Container Lists) within a warehouse environment to facilitate the safe handling of goods and an effective and efficient service to internal/external customers.
- Basic IT applications and other relevant technology and systems, including warehousing management, data capture, radio and barcoding systems to ensure the safe and efficient processing of goods.
- Relevant regulation and legislation (including international where relevant to role) governing the supply chain industry, their subsector and role in particular; consequences of not adhering to legal guidelines.
- Effective communication with customers that store goods with the company/colleagues (including those working remotely, third party carriers, agencies and other organisations) in line with situation and organisational style/culture.
- Structure of the industry; methods and modes of transport; roles available within the sector in general and in relation to their own career aspirations.
- The importance of delivering excellent customer service to customers and colleagues, including identifying needs and responding appropriately in line with situation and organisational style/culture.
- Vision, objectives and brand of the organisation; the importance of organisation reputation and what can affect it; how their own performance can contribute to organisational success and support or impact on others.
- Proposed and actual changes to systems, processes and technology used in the industry, particularly relating to own role; how to keep up to date with any changes in the systems, processes and technology that affect their role.
- How their role can affect their health and the need to maintain a level of fitness appropriate to the needs of their role.
All applications will be reviewed on an individual basis. If you have experience or previous knowledge that will support your application please remember to include it.
Funding is available depending on your circumstances.
FREE if you are either:
Aged 19+ Employed and earn less than £17,004.00
Aged 19+ Unemployed and in receipt of benefits and looking to gain employment